Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Kinky Friedman for Governor

Dara posted about Kinky today, and I've been meaning to post about him for a while as well.

In case you don't know, Kinky Friedman is a singer, entertainer, author, comedian, Jewish cowboy, etc. He has a band, The Texas Jewboys,that sings songs like "They Ain't Makin' Jews Like Jesus Anymore."

And he's running for governor of Texas.

He's running an unorthodox campaign that is being run by Jesse Ventura's former campaign manager, and he's doing pretty well in the polls.

My honest prediction... Kinky will win.

I'm not kidding. Governor Perry has 38% in the Rasmussen poll, Kinky has 20% and the other independent and the Democrat in the race trail him.

But numbers looked even worse for Jesse Ventura at this point in the race in Minnesota. The polls are looking at likely voters, but as Kinky has said, he's "running against apathy." New voters will show up to the polls in droves and Kinky will win.

Politically he's kind of all over the place, I saw him interviewed on 60 Miuntes a while back, and he says he's the only candidate you'll ever meet that supports prayer in school AND gay marriage (I'm with him on the latter but not the former). He seems to have about the right positions on Education, Healthcare and Renewable Energy.

I love it when candidates shake up the system. Dara's supporting Kinky, and so am I. I know the world has been on the edge of its seat waiting for this, but I endorse Kinky Friedman for Governor.

His campaign slogans include "Why the Hell Not?" and "How Hard Can it Be?" Indeed, how hard can it be to be governor of Texas?

3 Comments:

At 6:42 PM, Blogger mike said...

Correction in Minnesota at this time in 1998 Jesse Ventura was at about 5% in the polls. Kinky might be in trouble if he peaks to early, but being in 2nd is the perfect position.

One other key difference from Minnesota that is critical for the Friedman campaign. Texas doesn't have same day registration. Kinky will have to go ahead before registration ends, Given the way the #'s currently line up I wouldn't bet against him, but his opponents will work together to destroy him, and it will probably work to the point where most Texans despise him by election day, still with 4 credible candidates the first candidate to 35% wins.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger dara said...

Justin, you have misstated my position. What I said was "I'm not committed to backing Kinky for President just yet, but so far, he's the best alternative!" I am fully behind his gubernatorial aspirations.

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Justin S. said...

Thanks... I have updated the post to reflect both of your corrections.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home