Wednesday, July 12, 2006

All Star Game Thoughts

King Kaufman had a decent article today that covers some of my thoughts...

I was at a bar watching the game so I didn't get all the audio, but I agree with King that it's terrible that we have to watch seven more years of baseball on Fox, and that Fox generally seems to hate baseball. Case in point: stopping the game between innings to honor Roberto Clemente was extemely lame. Don't get me wrong. Roberto Clemente deserved to get honored. BEFORE the game. Not between innings.

As a Cardinals fan, I'm obviously disappointed the National League lost.
Especially in the "This Time It Counts" era, an era that needs to end. Granted, despite my prediction, the Cardinals need alot of work to get to the World Series, and home field advantage wouldn't have made a lick of a difference vs. the Red Sox in 2004.... but seriously, the All Star Game shouldn't have an impact on the World Series.

I think the All Star Game SHOULD be an exhibition, but since "it counts," I can respect Phil Garner and Ozzie Guillen's decision not to use every player on the bench. As for the Cards, Carpenter is only a borderline All Star this year anyway, so I don't care that much that he didn't play. However, I was disappointed that Rolen didn't play. He deserved to be in the game... and Garner was given a golden opportunity to put him in. With the National League up 2-1 going into the 9th, Garner could have put Rolen in for Cabrera on defense. Rolen is a much better defensive third baseman than Cabrera, and he probably would have made the third out in the 9th... instead, the American League went on to win.

So I'm sorry, Cubs, Nationals and Pirates fans.... you just lost home field advantage in the World Series.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home