Friday, December 21, 2007

Best Songs of 2007 Revision

Dude. I should be fired from my own blog.

You know what I forgot about when listing the best songs of 2007?

The entire Once soundtrack.



I saw this movie back in June or so. It didn't make my mid-year top 5. That's because the music did alot more for me than the movie overall. Still, it has certainly stuck in my memory more than, say, the latest Die Hard or Spider-man. It will probably be a while before I get to a year-end best movies list, still too many key movies I haven't seen. Will Once make that list? Probably not, but you never know.

Anyway, back to the important topic at hand, the MUSIC in Once. Essentially, the music in Once IS the movie. Glen Hansard reminds me of Cat Stevens at his best, both in songwriting and performing style.

Sorry, Ben Harper, but I have to knock you down a spot for best song of the year. I'm now giving it to "Falling Slowly," performed by Hansard and his co-star Markéta Irglová. But really, I'm picking one song to represent the whole soundtrack. Several songs on the soundtrack could be at or near the top of my list.

I haven't actually bought the soundtrack, but I will, and I've heard it enough to know it would be my pick for best CD of the year. Granted, I've only bought two 2007 CDs I can think of, Bruce Springsteen's "Magic" and Radiohead's "In Rainbows." Both of those fall into the "good, not great" category for me. So "Once" soundtrack it is.

2 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Blogger DSL said...

Love, love, loved this movie, as well as the soundtrack. The Lives of Others was the best but this one is probably second for me.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Justin S. said...

Apparently Lives of Others is eligible for the Academy Awards this year even though it was Best Foreign Film last year. Some weird thing with the rules. I said it was my favorite movie from last year, so I'm not counting it for this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home