Saturday, December 01, 2007

Karl Rove is Full Of Shit (But What Else is New)

Of all the shit that has spewed from Karl Rove's mouth, the idea that Congressional Democrats are the ones that wanted to rush to war in Iraq in 2002 is possibly the biggest lie I've ever heard him tell.

I was working for a Democratic congressman at the time, and granted I was a low level staffer, but I was still entrenched enough in DC politics at the time that I think I had a pretty clear picture of the situation.

Bush wanted to rush to war. Democrats in Congress accused Bush of wanting to go to war without his authorization. The Republicans, who, remember, controlled the House at the time, made a very smart political call and called the Democrats' bluff. Make no mistake, the Republicans wanted to go to war fast, and wanted a vote before the 2002 election.

The Democrats blew it big time. Enough of them caved (I'm proud to say the member I was working for is NOT one who caved). So the Republicans (1) got their authorization for war and (2) made the Democrats look like hypocritical wimps (which alot of them were). This series of events was the main reason Republicans made further gains in 2002 and dealt the Democrats a blow which they didn't recover from until 2006. This was mostly Rove's doing, and now that everything Rove worked for is falling apart, he's trying to rewrite history. It's not going to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home