Friday, August 24, 2007

Movie Blogging

Over the course of the next week or so, I plan on making a couple movie posts, one about my favorite movies of the year so far, and one on my most anticipated movies for the rest of the year.

But first, I need to revisit my list of Top 5 movies from last year.....

When I posted in January about my Top 5 movies of 2006, I picked The Pursuit of Happyness as my favorite movie of the year. This spring, that changed. That's because I caught up with a better 2006, movie...

The Lives of Others



This movie, which, at its base, is about Cold War surveillance in East Germany, blew me away. The German movie won Best Foreign Language Film at the Oscars. In a weird way, the movie actually reminded me of Schindler's List.... None of the violence or horrible images of that movie, but a similar story of insiders in oppresive regimes making risks to help the oppressed.

Unfortunately, the heart and soul of the movie, Ulrich Mühe, passed away, way to early, this past June.



So, here's my revised Top 5 movies of 2006.

1. The Lives of Others
2. The Pursuit of Happyness
3. Thank You For Smoking
4. Prairie Home Companion
5. The Departed

Another movie I didn't see until 2007, Children of Men, would probably now be number 6 on the list.

5 Comments:

At 10:53 AM, Blogger DSL said...

I absolutely loved The Lives of Others and I very nearly didn't see that movie because what little I'd heard of it didn't interest me. Anyway, it was a very different movie than the impression I'd been given of it. It's one of the few movies that I'd see again without waiting 10 years.

I would like to see Volver and The Departed.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

Of the movies on your list, I've only seen "Thank You for Smoking", which I thought was good but a bit overrated. On your 2007 list you should include Ratatouille. It's easily the best movie I've seen this year.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Justin S. said...

I would like to see Volver as well. And Ratatouille will almost certainly be on my list, although probably not number 1. Stay tuned.

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger DSL said...

Oh, and one of the best or not, I have to mention Little Miss Sunshine.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Justin S. said...

Yep, that's the movie that got knocked out of my Top 5 for The Lives of Others.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home