Thursday, April 12, 2007

I Need A New "Favorite Living Author"



We had a memorial service for Isaac [Asimov] a few years back, and I spoke and said at one point, 'Isaac is up in heaven now.' It was the funniest thing I could have said to an audience of humanists. I rolled them in the aisles. It was several minutes before order could be restored. And if I should ever die, God forbid, I hope you will say, 'Kurt is up in heaven now.' That's my favorite joke.


---------

Kurt is up in heaven now.

2 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Blogger DSL said...

I definitely enjoyed reading him, even though it's been a while. Here's a list of potential runner-ups (in alphabetical order only) I'm generally a reader of the classics but these are some modern authors that stand out for me.

Edward Albee (playwright: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? The Goat or Who is Sylvia?) Do all his plays end with question marks? :-p

Martin Amis

Maya Angelou

Ray Bradbury

Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Love in the Time of Cholera; One Hundred Years of Solitude)

Kazuo Ishiguro (Remains of the Day; The Artist of the Floating World; When We Were Orphans)

Maxine Hong Kingston (The Woman Warrior)

Alice Munro (short stories)

Some others to definitely check out:

Khaled Hosseini (The Kite Runner)

Edward Jones (The Known World)

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Justin S. said...

I'm thinking this needs to be a poll question.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home