Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Best and Worst Cover Songs

Amazingly, I came across both of these lists on the same day...

The Onion AV Club's list of 14 cover songs that are better than the originals

Cracked's 20 Worst Cover Songs in Pop Music History

As with any lists like these, I find things to agree with and disagree with on both lists.

From the AV Club list:

I'll agree that Stevie Wonder's "We Can Work It Out" is better than the Beatles version, which is no dis on the Beatles version. Stevie just outdoes them. I also agree that Jimi Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower" is better than Bob Dylan's version. But Devo's version of "Satisfaction" doesn't hold a candle to the Rolling Stones. Sorry.

Other songs that could have been on here... Aretha Franklin's "Respect" is obviously more significant than Otis Redding's version... Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" outdoes Leonard Cohen... And Johnny Cash's "Hurt" made a lesser Nine Inch Nails song into a classic.

From the Cracked list:

Celine Dion and Anastasia singing "You Shook Me All Night Long?" The horror. The thought alone makes me cringe. Cracked got that one right. I also agree that Guns and Roses should have left "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" alone. And Kid Rock's version of "Feel Like Makin' Love" is one of the most horendous things ever. But Sheryl Crow's version of "Sweet Child O Mine" is actually pretty good. And while Britney Spears' version of "Satisfaction" is bad, her version of "I Love Rock and Roll" is the one that truly belongs on this list.

Others that belong here... I know I'll get flack for this, but The Goo Goo Dolls version of "Give a Little Bit" just grates at me. Supertramp's version is so much better. Also, this is an easy target, but Tiffany's version of "I Think We're Alone Now?" And, Uncle Cracker's version of "Drift Away." Blech.

2 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger dara said...

Justin: I agree with you on the Jeff Buckley version of "Hallelujah." There is no finer version of that song. And Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt" is great too -- but it's so different from the original that it's hard to even think that they're the same song.

My two disagreements with you -- and you knew this was coming -- is about Sheryl Crow and the Goo Goo Dolls. In my opinion, Sheryl Crow's version "Sweet Child Of Mine" neutered an otherwise powerful song. It's not the worst thing ever, but it's not good. (I do like her cover of "The First Cut Is The Deepest.")

Furthermore, your hatred of the Goo Goo Dolls taints your view of their cover of "Give A Little Bit." (Of course, the fact that I like them would cause me to argue that their version is better than Supertramp's original.) But we'll continue to disagree on that subject.

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Justin S. said...

Actually, the Goo Goo Dolls version of "Give a Little Bit" is largely the reason I have such venom toward them. I didn't like them before that, but that song kind of sealed the deal. I heard the song without knowing it was the Goo Goo Dolls and hated it, in fact.

Sheryl Crow's version doesn't compare to Guns and Roses, but it's an interesting alternate take on the song, in my opinion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home