Monday, March 12, 2007

Some March Madness thoughts

On Thursday, I plan on posting my bracket for all the world to mock... I mean, see.

I don't want to give too much away, but I don't think this is going to be my year. Due to circumstances, I've picked my bracket largely with my heart... I don't want to tell you who I have going all the way... but it's a certain cheese-related school that I once attended, that I don't think has what it takes, but is seeded high enough that I feel compelled to pick them. I think there's a strong chance this school could screw my bracket up by losing very early in the tournament.

There are two schools that I feel an even stronger connection to... Illinois and Southern Illinois... and they could face each other in the second round. I'm not sure Southern Illinois should be ranked as high as they are (a 4 seed), but I do think they got lucky and should breeze by Holy Cross in the first round and can beat either Virginia Tech or Illinois in the second, two teams that are overrated.

I'm generally disappointed there aren't more mid-major teams in the tourney this year, although it's not as if there are alot of great mid-major teams that were left out. Last year, I felt compelled to defend the Missouri Valley on this blog when they got 4 teams in... This year they only got two and I think that's fair. The Valley just wasn't as good this year, even if Southern Illinois is arguably better than any Valley team from last year.

My only real beef is Drexel not making it... And the team that should have been left out is... wait for it....

The Illinois Fighting Illini. That's right. I'm admitting that my own alma mater shouldn't have made it. They really aren't a good team.

Having said that, I think they can take the Hokies in the first round.

A few more random points....

Team most deserving of a higher seed - Nevada. They're much better than a 7.

Team least deserving of it's seed - Pittsburgh. They're no 3 seed.

Most likely upset - Winthrop over Notre Dame.

One seed with easiest route to final four - Ohio State.

One seed with the hardest route - North Carolina.

Upset I'd most like to see... Any 16 over any 1, of course. That's always a given unless my teams are involved, but ESPECIALLY when North Carolina and Kansas are one seeds.

Other upsets I'd like to see...

Virginia Commonwealth over Duke... I mean, come on. It's Duke.
Illinois over Virginia Tech... Duh.
Davidson over Maryland... I really don't like Gary Williams.
Long Beach State over Tennessee.... I don't like Bruce Pearl either.
Villanova over Kentucky... This is an 8 vs 9 game, so it doesn't really count, but I really don't like Kentucky.
Creighton over Nevada... Always gotta root for Valley teams.
Winthrop over Notre Dame... I never root for Notre Dame.

Stay tuned on Thursday to see my bracket.

2 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

How could you leave Georgetown off your poll?

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Justin S. said...

The poll's been up for a few weeks, and you're right, Georgetown should be on it. I didn't put them on at the time because it was before the last couple weeks of the season when Georgetown really turned it on and showed how good they are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home