Friday, August 04, 2006

More Mel

From (surprise, surprise) Fox News, Father Jonathan Morris says:

Abraham Foxman, president of the Anti-Defamation League, was keen to push the envelope in these suppositions.

“His tirade finally reveals his true self and shows that his protestations during the debate over his film 'The Passion of the Christ,' that he is such a tolerant, loving person, were a sham. This confirms what all of us knew before, Mel Gibson is an anti-Semite and a bigot.”

Big words.


Big words? Ok, but you wanna hear some other big words? "Fucking Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world... Are you a Jew?"

Anyway, I'll let Father Jonathan continue.

For over a year, I worked with Mel and his team during the filming, post-production, and marketing of "The Passion of the Christ." .....

I knew then, as I know now, Mel is not an anti-Semite.


Please. I know there are probably better ways to respond to Mel than the way I did on Monday. But I cannot accept an approach that doesn't acknowledge that Mel is an anti-semite.

I think anti-semites, like racists, homophobes, sexists, etc. can change. I think Mel can change, and all I can do is take his word that he's commited to changing. But at the moment, he's still a damn anti-semite, ok?

We all have our prejudices. Every one of us. The best thing any of us can do is learn to recognize our prejudices, acknowledge them, and use our self-awareness to treat people in a way that overcomes these prejudices. The worst thing any of us can do is deny our prejudices.

4 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Blogger Beakerz said...

The family of Mel (father, children) need to be wiped from the planet and from our minds.

F'n idiots! He Does realize Jesus was Jewish, right?

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger DSL said...

I've never "heard" you get quite so worked up before Justin. I guess I'm not quite so worked up because it's clearly someone acting like an idiot. I don't personally care if Mel hates Jews or not. What I care about is if he tries to influence other people and their beliefs (i.e., Tom Cruise). Guess this means we'll have to boycott Passion of the Christ II, huh? ;-)

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Justin S. said...

No, we're not going to Passion II. And he does try to influence the belief of others. Look at what he has to say about stem cells.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger DSL said...

Agreed, no more Cruise or Gibson films. I hate to belabor the point, but you were talking about antisemitism

 

Post a Comment

<< Home