Thursday, March 30, 2006

Crazy State Update

It's been a while, so it's time to revisit my Crazy State Power Rankings.

First things first... I'd previously stated that I was, until further notice, letting Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama off the hook. Call it Katrina sympathy. Louisiana and Mississippi are still off the hook. But Alabama is now a contender. This is what pushed me over the edge....

There are three states in the country in which Bush has an approval rating over 50%. Alabama is one of them. Utah and Wyoming are the other two, and as you will see, both make the updated list. The other newcombers are Washington DC, Indiana and Wisconsin, which I will discuss below.

1. Kansas Previously #1
No convincing evidence to make a change.

2. Missouri Previously #2
Because, despite the St. Louis Cardinals, the state also is home to the Kansas City Royals. And Branson.

3. Oklahoma Previously #7
The big mover on the list. Oklahoma, in addition to my general dislike of Oklahoma, is a state in which nearly half the residents support Bush. It isn't one of the three red states mentioned above, but it's close.

4. Virginia Previously #4
Nothing much to report on in my home state, except that it passed

5. Florida Previously #3
Florida is dropping because apparently the state is going to be sane enough not to elect Katharine Harris to the Senate.

6. Alabama New entry
Now that it's off my safe list.... come on. It's Alabama.

7. Texas Previously #6
Significantly less that half the residents think Bush is doing a good job. IN TEXAS! That's enough to let the state drop a notch in the rankings. Still, the state is his home, and is also now the home of Terrell Owens.

8. South Dakota Previously #5
The abortion controversy isn't as fresh in my mind now, so the state's slipping a little. I know that, as the court challenges start piling up, South Dakota will make a comeback.

9. Washington DC New entry
A strong debut for the people who keep electing Marion Barry to public office and allow Jim Bowden to run a baseball team.

10. Maryland Previously #11
Did I metion I can't stand Maryland Men's basketball coach Gary Williams?

11. Utah New Entry
One of the three "What are they thinking?" states.

12. Indiana New Entry
For trying to be the next South Dakota. And for Dan Quayle. You're never going to live that one down.

13. Wyoming New Entry
For being one of the tainted three and for Dick Cheney. Wyoming would be higher on the list, but I've always wanted to visit Yellowstone, and I'd still like to be welcome there.

14. California Previously #10
Still governed by the Kindergarten Cop.

15. Wisconsin New Entry
I lived there for two years, and there are plenty of reasons for Wisconsin to make the list. Including this.

16. Ohio Previously #9
Ohio's been pretty quiet, so they've slipped a bit.

17. Pennsylvania Previously #8
Terrell Owens is gone. This state is hanging onto the list by the skin of Rick Santorum's teeth.

How's my list? Tell me below.

4 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure you can blame DC for Jim Bowden - that's more the fault of the current owners of the Nats - Major League Baseball headquartered in New York.

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justin: That was me posting the above comment. Cool blog.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger DSL said...

Why does most of this seem to be about differences in politics and sports? There's got to be something better than this to be certifiable.

 
At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, Florida?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home