Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Idol Blogging

Here I go, shredding the last bit of indie cred I had, and continuing to blog about American Idol. But, given my basketball prognosticating skills, I better get back to something I'm actually relatively good at predicting.

First of all, something was up with the judges last night. Paula was actually genuinuely critical of some of the contestants, and Simon was back to his overly critical self. He even criticized Paris, who was far and away the best performer of the night. In fact, I'll say Paris has risen above the crop and is now my favorite contestant, passing even Mandisa.

My prediction for elimination is easy: Lisa. She gave yet another uninspired performance and failed to live up to her potential. She's been in the bottom 3 at least a couple times before. Despite a night of mediocre performances in general, the others seem to have bigger fan bases and will get enough votes to continue.

My other predictions for the bottom 3 will make me look like a genius if I'm right: Kellie and Mandisa. Hear me out. Kellie gave a mediocre performance and performed early in the show, which usually isn't good. And Mandisa, while she was better than most of the contestants, paled in comparison to Paris. And maybe it's unfair to compare just those two, but I do think they're splitting votes. And the better Paris does, the worse Mandisa will do.

The other two that could be in the bottom 3 are Bucky and.... Taylor. Bucky I think was unique enough last night, and actually performed better than most of the contestants, and I think he's safe this week. Taylor didn't stand out much last night, and he picked a pretty tame song, but it still suited him well and I think will appeal to his huge fan base enough that he'll be safe.

Ace and Katherine aren't going anywhere. They weren't the best of the best last night, but they're safe. Despite what the judges said, I think Drops of Jupiter was Ace's best song choice yet and last night was the closest I've come to actually liking Ace. And Katherine, while I didn't care for the performance, alot of people seem to think she was good, and she'll get through on the judges' praise if nothing else.

The safest of the bunch are Paris, Chris and Elliott. Paris was the only truly great performance of the night. Chris, while the performance probably had too hard an edge for alot of people, knew what he was doing and did it well, and still may be the most natural performer of the group. And Elliott was above average for Elliott and went last, so he's safe.

We'll find out tonight how I did.

1 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Blogger DSL said...

At this point, I think anyone's guess is good. I'm not sure splitting of the votes is a major factor since you can vote more than once by text. I agree that Lisa is first to go. She has a great voice and a lot of potential but just isn't there just, especially with the songs she picks. By personal choice, I pick Ace to go next. I thought this last performance, while not as terrible as some of his have been, was terribly average, and I do agree with Simon even though he was in a particularly foul mood last night. If Mandisa were to be in the bottom three, I agree that this would be the time, but we all know she has the voice, even though she didn't show it off well last night. I love Paris, but I think Mandisa's greater experience is obvious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home