Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Kirby Puckett

Just felt like I should say something here, since I'm a huge baseball fan and he's such a memorable player to me. Sad to see him go. He's one of my favorite non-Cardinal players of all time, even if he was part of the 1987 Twinkies team that beat the Cards in the World Series. What more can I say? He was the kind of ballplayer that's impossible not to like. I always thought of him as the American League version of Ozzie Smith. Not so much in playing style, but in the way he approached the game and the way he was beloved in the town in which he played. I know it sounds cheezy, but I can imagine what it would feel like to me if Ozzie suddenly passed away, and I know that that's the feeling alot of people are having in Minnesota today. So stand strong, Minnesota.

2 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Blogger dara said...

This reminds me of a professor I had in college who, being from North Dakota, was a lifelong Twins fan. He named his dog Kirby.

As an aside, he was also a rabid FSU baseball fan, and as such was part of the animals of Section B. They lead funny cheers for all of the players, and sing O, Canada during the fifth inning.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger dara said...

from Gene Weingarten's Washington Post chat today:

McLean, Va. (by way of St. Paul): Gene, since you are such a fan of baseball, could you please take a moment in your chat to acknowledge the passing of Kirby Puckett?

I grew up in the St. Paul suburbs watching and rooting for the Twins. No matter what happened before or what may yet come, Puckett's time with us will always be the Golden Age of baseball in Minnesota. We'll miss him, but we'll always be glad that at least we had him with us for a while.

Gene Weingarten: Kirby Puckett was a great hitter, of a type there are too few of. A scientific hitter. If he hadn't been so round, he could have BUNTED .300.

Actually, I also liked him for his roundness.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home