Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Justin picks the Oscars

So, I might as well pretend I'm a critic and pick the Oscars. Which is really lame of me seeing as I haven't seen 3 of the best picture nominees, two of the best actor nominees, 4 of the best actress nominees, etc. But here are my picks as well as what I would have picked from ALL movies this year that I have seen.

BEST PICTURE

I haven't seen Munich, Capote or Crash. That leaves Good Night and Good Luck vs. Brokeback Mountain. I give the edge to Brokeback Mountain, although it's pretty close. My overall favorite movies I saw this year were Sin City and Match Point.

BEST ACTOR

Haven't seen Hustle and Flow or Capote, which makes this really unfair. Sounds like Terrence Howard and Phillip Seymour Hoffman gave the performances of the year. Of the three I've seen, I'll go with Joaquin Phoenix. Strathairn and Ledger were fine, but I think the movies overall were better than the actual performances. Steve Carrell should have been nominated for 40 Year Old Virgin. I'm serious.

BEST ACTRESS

I've see Reese Witherspoon and that's all. She'll probably win and it was a helluva performance, and I can't think of a better one by an actress this year.

SUPPORTING ACTOR

I haven't seen Syriana or Crash, so that leaves Paul Giamatti, Jake Gyllenhaal and William Hurt. Giamatti shouldn't have even been nominated. Yeah, I know, he was overlooked for Sideways, but Cinderella Man was a crap movie and his performance was sappy. Gyllenhaal was pretty good, but William Hurt is the man. That was a great performance, and Ed Harris should have been nominated for History of Violence as well.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

I've seen only Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams. I fell asleep in Constant Gardner, so Michelle Williams wins by default.

DIRECTING

Nominees are identical to Best Picture, so again, I've only seen two. It's George Clooney vs. Ang Lee. Ang Lee beats Clooney, and Brokeback may have been the best directed film of the year anyway.

MUSIC (SCORE)

Brokeback all the way. I wouldn't have even mentioned this category if Brokeback didn't have such a great score.

That's all I have.

2 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Blogger DSL said...

What about Felicity Huffman? She's been getting great reviews. I love Reese, but she's always cute, perky Reese.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Justin S. said...

Yeah, I hear she's good. She's probably the only one with a shot at beating Reese.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home