Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The Nose Knows Blog Index

Recently, Time Magazine Created its "first annual blog index." They're picking their top 25 blogs, and promise to repeat it annually.

So I thought I'd create my own "blog index." A few rules...

There will be only ten, not twenty five. And they will be ranked one through ten, based on how I feel today.

Mine isn't an annual list. I can change it next week, or in five years. Who knows?

If you know me and you have a blog, don't feel offended. I'm ruling out blogs of people I know. This will be a list of more popular, more widely known blogs.

Also, I'm ruling out "catch-all" blogs that have a million links a day about nothing specific. Thus, no Fark, no Metafilter, no Boing Boing, no Slashdot.

And no Cardinals blogs, because those don't interest anyone except a narrow group of people.

So... Here we go.

1. Freakonomics

I've blogged about the book recently, and since I read it and started following the blog, it has become my very favorite blog. Almost every entry is thought provoking, and there are very few "filler" posts. And I promise this is the only economics blog on my list.

2. Daily Kos

What can I say? This is probably the first blog I ever read regularly, and I still read several posts there almost every day. It's my one stop shop for all my left wing propaganda.

3. Huffington Post

I was a late adapter to Huffington Post. It wasn't until recently that I came to the opinion that this is the second best left wing blog out there. The entries are of mixed quality, but the good stuff is good enough that it's worth searching out.

4. Fire Joe Morgan

Don't worry, this blog is much more than just a plea to fire one ESPN announcer. It's an all out assault on bad, lazy, and flat out idiotic sports journalism and analysis. As you can imagine, there's no shortage of material to make fun of, and it's all done by a writer for The Office who once played Dwight's brother.

5. Garfield Minus Garfield

As I've written before, Garfield sucks. But it turns out that if you take Garfield out of the comic strip, it's hilarious. Just a lonely guy with serious mental issues.

6. Indexed

Great observations about life, illustrated through charts and diagrams on index cards. Nothing more, nothing less.

7. Stuff White People Like

Honestly, this blog is a depressing look at people like me. But I find it hilarious. It's losing a little of its original luster, but it's on my list for now.

8. Regret the Error

A collection of actual corrections that ran in newspapers, magazines, etc.
It's amazing what these supposedly great publications get wrong.

9. Raising Kaine

Another left wing political blog, this one a local one from my former home of Virginia. It's the model all local political blogs should follow. I wish Maryland had one this good (of course it would help if Maryland had Democratic elected officials as dynamic as the ones Virginia has).

10. Slog

Another local blog... this one from Seattle, where I've never been. I only found this blog because one of its contributors is Dan Savage. Again, lots of my left wing propaganda (detecting a theme here?), but plenty of other interesting posts, and very little of it is Seattle specific.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home