Monday, March 17, 2008

Things I've Seen/Heard/Read/Done Lately

This is kind of a catch-up post on things I've seen, heard said, or done lately.

Thing I've Seen - Gone Baby Gone -

Not bad at all. Very solid first directorial effort by Ben Affleck. He should stay behind the camera, where apparently his best skills might be.

Thing I've Heard - Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me -

Ok, I'm really late to the game on this one. But I just started listening to the weekly NPR show on podcast, and it's one of the funniest things around. Good guests who end up being surprisingly entertaining. Plus regulars like Mo Rocca, Paula Poundstone, and Tom Bodett, who apparently, in addition to being the guy who will "leave the light on for you" at Motel 6, is one seriously funny dude.

Thing I've Read - Freakonomics -

I've been wanting to read this book ever since it came out. I finally did, and thought it was a great read. Like the authors of the book, I am keenly interested in economic incentives, but I don't really care about financial markets, etc. The Freakonomics guys also have a great blog. Perhaps my favorite chapter of the book was about a guy who lives among gang members in Chicago and does one of the most thorough economic studies of a gang ever, and finds out their corporate structure is basically the same as McDonalds. The guy, Sudhir Venkatesh, has his own book now, which I'm looking forward to reading. He was also on the Colbert Report last week.

Thing I've Done - dance lessons for my wedding -

Yep, that's right. I'm learning to fox trot for the big day. Going well, and gives me some quality time with my fiancee. I need to learn new steps, practice alot, etc. So far, so good!

That's it for now. If I don't have something specific to write next time I want to blog, Seen/Heard/Read/Done seems like a good recurring post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home