Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Superman Returns Score

As some of you know, I used to have the main titles from the original Superman movie as my ringtone. I am a huge fan of this score.... in fact, I'd probably say it's the best movie score of all time. Not taking anything away from John Williams' other scores, including of course, Star Wars, and Raiders of the Lost Ark, and others... or great scores from Danny Elfman, Henry Mancini, Jerry Goldsmith, Randy Newman and others, but for me, the Superman score rises above the pack.

Over the weekend, I listened to clips from the Superman Returns soundtrack. John Ottman did the score this time around, and from what I can tell from the clips, he did a pretty good job. The main titles remain from the original Superman movie, and themes remain from the original score throughout the new one. Most importantly, the score has the larger-than-life quailty that almost all of John Williams' scores have, and is essential for a Superman movie. A Superman movie without a sweeping score might as well be, um, I don't know, a Police Academy movie.

Anyway, the score has me even more stoked to see my most anticipated movie of the summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home