Thursday, September 30, 2004

I officially endorse the name "Senators"

I got many good suggestions yesterday as to what to name Washington's new baseball team. I kind of liked the "K Street Hookers" (between 14th and 18th at about 2 am for those of you who are looking. Sickos.) Imagine the mascot.
But in all serious, they've gotta go with the Senators. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to baseball, and I think the name would generate alot of goodwill among the older residents of the city.
The other reason I endorse "Senators" is, of course, the irony of the name. As you are well aware, DC doesn't actually have Senators, or Representatives, for that matter. And the city, rightfully so, likes to raise a big stink about this.
Mayor Anthony Williams opposes the name "Senators" because the city doesn't have any real ones. I have to respectfully say he has it all wrong. That's exactly WHY you name it the Senators. You use the team name as a tool to GET representation. Come on. The city is bold enough to put "Taxation without Representation" on license plates. This move wouldn't even be that bold, it's a move based on tradition, after all.
Williams favors the team name "Grays," in honor of the Homestead Grays, the Negro League team that used to be in the city. I'm all for honoring the Negro League, but I'm not big on the name. What's more boring than "Gray?" Isn't it pretty much by definition the most boring color in the spectrum?
I suppose if that's what they go with, I'll get used to it in time. Hey, I'm just happy to have baseball in DC, and I'll support it regardless of name. But for my two cents, the Senators is the only real choice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home